Friday, June 6, 2008

LOCAL FOCUS IN BUILD UP TO WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

After a quick SWOT analysis of my recent European campaign it is time to set in place the formula to try and achieve the objective of top 8 at this year’s World Duathlon Championships in Rimini, Italy.

The most positive part of the assessment was that I was in the lead group in all races I entered. The reality though is that the pace required to be in the pack was very close or at my capacity and therefore left me with few attacking options. The top 5 runners in the sport have run very high 28 or low 29 minute 10k’s, so with the typical 30.30- 31.00 minute 10k opener they are comfortably aerobic and relatively fresh, leaving them ready to attack the second 5k run.

Therefore, the next 4 months will be hard training for the flat and fast Rimini course with a bias toward getting my 10k road to sub 30 minutes. This would give me a realistic opportunity to compete for higher honours on the second run and an extremely good chance to achieve the goal of top 8.

I will be racing the West Australian 4k and 12k cross country championships, plus the Asics Run for Gold and Perth City to Surf, with just two duathlons - the Australian Duathlon Championships in Newcastle on August 24th and the final French GP in Nancy on September 13th.

I am excited at the prospect of competing in West Australian Championship events for the first time in many years and looking forward to renewing competition with some local adversaries.

Running Regards
Radar

No comments: