Saturday, May 23, 2009

Unbelievable

Well today I will keep it brief because there isn't much I can really say to explain my disapointment.

In point form:


Hamstring was 100%- in the first run I led the lead group of 7 into transition in 31.09 and there were 2 guys- Yakovlev and Dereere- 15 sec up ahead. Perfect start and put alot of pressure on some guys and many favourites cracked under the tempo


We quickly caught the 2 front runners and 5 guys (4 Spaniards) caught us from behind in the first 2 laps of the 8 lap bike

The legs were good on the bike and I was staying in top 3 riders so all moves were covered

Then....A f---ing PUNCTURE....I instinctively went to the wheel swap but forgot I was in running platforms and broke the strap for the platforms.

I changed wheels and tried to ride but had too much risk of injury or crashing with no strap on a toe clip pedal....no choice but to walk away DNF. No World Ranking Points and No Prize Money

When the financial costs of chasing the dream and pulling my family half way round the world are considered, it is really hard to cop this outcome. I fly back to Zurich tomorrow and Lianne and I will work out what is next. A little holiday and some relaxing in Munich will be the tonic to work out our plans.

Well it is always good to finish on a positive note. The reality is, when I can be fully focussed on running 100k a week and riding 300-400k I believe I can be the best Duathlete in the World........the two times I have been fit enough for such a result I have crashed (Belgium 2007) and punctured (today). Hopefully, the World Championships this year will be 3rd time lucky and I can get the result I am after.

Regards

Radar









1 comment:

Ryan Baugh said...

your time will come mate, i'm sure your persistence & hard working will be rewarded soon. coming from someone with no experience...your time will come!