Saturday, June 27, 2009

Spiezathlon

Howdy Folks

A quick update from today's race which was held in a beautiful central Swiss town, Spiez, right near Interlaken. The lake and Mountain backdrop was fantastic and so was the course, a 5km/20km/5km over rolling Swiss Countryside.

On the eve of the race, due to extensive travel I crammed my bike and run tune up surges into one day (usually spread over 2) and unfortunately my hamstring spasmed up on me again and I could not run faster than 80% without it shortening. I would not normally race, but due to the support I have recieved from Swiss Cannondale and Wildcats www.wildcats.ch and the fact that I missed the last Swiss Cup race in Zofingen I decided to execute a controlled race and consciously work within my constraints. This resulted in a 3rd place finish.

I definately do not recommend this to athletes in normal circumstances and it is not a noble way to perform as an athlete.

Big thanks to the Wildcats and Cannondale Swiss, especially Cedric for their support and lets hope I can hit all future Swiss races with a full head of steam

Regards
Radar

1 comment:

The Wombat Warrior said...

Always a tough call but I am sure your not the first nor will you be the last athlete to compromise themselves in order to satisfy a sponsor.