Sunday, July 5, 2009

RIP VIC NOLAN

I am shocked and deeply saddenned to have just heard the news that my first ever running coach, Vic Nolan has quietly passed away in his home.

Vic was an outstanding man, of the old fashioned style, direct and to the point. He could never be accused of being politically correct! He always coached for free and for over 40 years has coached hundreds of youngsters for the pure love of athletics. Many of his athletes have won State Championships, National Championships and represented Australia in International Competition.

But as one of his most famous quotes went:
"I am never satisfied, if I were satisfied you could sack me!"

So he continued coaching to the end. His trademark stopwatch and whistle resounded out the window of my Physiotherapy practice as he continued to coach his young athletes between 4 and 5pm Monday to Friday at Willetton Reserve. He never missed a session and remembering what he put me through I would always smile at the quick humour and hard yards he used to put the youngsters through.

As an athlete, he achieved multiple State Championships himself and narrowly missed selection for the Commonwealth Games. He was also often confused with the great Emil Zatopek due to his balding scalp and hard, grimacing technique. He always used to comment "if you haven't fed the crows you haven't run hard enough".

Vic was truly a great man and his generousity and passion will mean that he has made a lasting imprint on hundreds of young lives he touched and helped to develop, showing them an understanding of the benefits and rewards of commitment, hard work and discipline.

I feel lucky to have benefitted so greatly from knowing him. He gave me far more than I could ever have given him back. He opened my eyes to the size of the athletics world, my personal abilties, to the opportunities sport presents and played the greatest role in making me the athlete I am today.

He will be greatly missed and may he rest in Peace
Thanks Vic

2 comments:

Ryan Baugh said...

A true character, even for me.
I am sure he will be missed by many and he will always remain a vivid memory for people that knew him. RIP VIC

Unknown said...

Vic Nolan was a fiery, lager-sandwich-loving, coaching hero. It was the best when he'd take off his shirt with all the squad at training, and get all amped up about hassling people to run fast.
"C'mon you miserable weeds!!!!!!"
"Right out... Right out!!!!"
"I want you fit, tough, strong and fast".
"Rome wasn't built in a day"
"You're not eating enough salt mate"

...he was a trooper and praise-worthy for so many reasons...

Adam Lovkis