Sunday, August 24, 2008

3rd at ITU Oceania Duathlon Champs in Newcastle

The 2008 ITU Oceania Duathlon Champs in Newcastle featured the same course as the 2005 ITU World Championships. A flat and fast 10k run leg was combined with a tough non drafting 6 lap bike (consisting of 90m of vertical climb on each lap with corresponding descent) and then a final 5k run.

Thankfully, I have started to feel better the past week after getting some iron tablets into the system and implementing a change in diet. The race itself was a great chance to get fitter and with only 5 weeks until the World Champs I was in much need of a specific hit out.

On the first run, I alternated 2nd and 3rd place with James Attard after Mathew McDonough from Victoria tore off from the gun. At the end of the run McDonough had 90 seconds on us....not good but thought we would bring him back on the bike....I got away from James but made little inroads into the leader until Paul Attard surged through on the 3rd lap of the bike. He was riding strongly but I maintained contact on the downhills and did my share of work on the ascents.....we squeezed the gap down to 1.10 at the end of the bike so it was really a race for minor medals. To his credit, Paul outmuscled me for second and I had to be content with the bronze medal 15 seconds back. The winner McDonough again extended his lead on the final run and showed genuine class on the day.

In summary, I felt steady but very one paced. I will now start some speedwork to get the tempo and change of pace required to try and better my 14th place from 2007 World Championships.

PS Well done to FRONT RUNNER SQUAD member Genessa McDonald-Meade who won her 25-29 age group and her boyfriend Nat who was also super competitive

Running Regards
Radar

No comments: